Born in 1912, Harry Callahan grew up in Detroit, Michigan. He studied engineering at Michigan State College. In 1946, he was appointed by László Moholy-Nagy to teach photography at the Institute of Design in Chicago. Harry Callahan retired in 1977, at which time he was teaching at the Rhode Island School of Design. Harry Callahan’s work has been widely collected in such prestigious institutions such as the Corcoran Gallery of Art, George Eastman House, Smithsonian American Art Museum and The High Museum of Art.